Eye Team

Dr. Woody Hopper examines aging woman in the medical screening line.
DSC_7584 -artsy, originally uploaded by Photo2217.


I just got out of the operating theatre.

My fascination with the medical world will never cease. From my understanding most medical advancements began by finding a solution to a physical need to heal or improve, and after two years of being a photographer for Mercy Ships, I am still overwhelmed each time I go in the OR.

Especially by this morning visit to the OR. I had to photograph an OR crew member who was currently working with the eye team. As I walked in to the operating room, the team had nearly completed a cataract removal procedure. The procedure is a quick one but it’s not all together simple.

The Salone female patient was on the operating table and was having her second cataract removed. It was her second surgery with our medical mission. Weeks before she came seeking medical help, since she was no longer able to see. Her first surgery had been a rather great success and the doctors were confident that this procedure would go well too. 

When it was all over. She, the patient, couldn’t silence herself. She was so relieved. She kept saying over and over again. Thank you God. Thank you God. Thank God for each of you. I am better. Thank you God. 

You could see the burden lifted even as she spoke. She was free. She would be able to see better, or again. I’m not sure how severe her lack of sight was.

Her praise went out all over the OR. Thank you God. Thank you God. Thank you God.

I thought to myself that it should be this natural to cry to our Creator. A heart felt impulsive truth of a cry. A spontaneous yet real shout of thanks. 

Thank you God. Thank you for taking this burden. Thank you for my healing. Thank you God. Thank you God.

Made me wonder when was the last time I thanked God? How often do we hear pops of joy in our dwellings/work stations shouting out thanks to God or even a whisper? I’m sure it happens, but it just made me wonder how often in my own personal life.


originally written
September 23, 2011
at 2:35am

Comments

Popular Posts