Mercy Ships is a NIKON ship…

Check out www.mercyships.org . The website had a makeover and it looks great. Lots of stories and information about what the Africa Mercy did in Benin. There are also fantastic links for individuals interested in volunteering on the ship.

I heard back from one of my co-workers on the ship today. Her name is Debra. There are some fantastic photos of the ship, and the deck on her blog site. The entire crew is in Tenerife right now (Canary Islands), but she took some time to update me on the photo dept on the ship. Yes, indeed, we are a NIKON family. This brings joy to my heart. Apparently we may be a bit short on Nikon lenses, so if you had any that are compatible to a DSLR to share, please write me. I would love to update the photo dept of the Africa Mercy with some great lenses.

I also found out that there are a lot of events on the ship as well. For example, some of the crew in Benin had the opportunity to meet the President of Benin. What a fantastic opportunity for the political leaders and medical experts to meet and share their concern for the people of Africa. I love photographing candids in the middle of social settings, and I am looking forward to opportunities such as these in Togo too. I haven’t heard specifics as to what events will be held in Togo, but I’ve added it to my MUST BE PREPARED list.

The photographers mind starts to imagine all the possible scenarios. Will it be out on the deck at night under low lightings? Will it be in a forum with a bright light and a mic that covers the speaker? Will it be hot? Cold? Who are the folks that need to be in the photos? What is the unexpected candid that my eye will find? Flash? No flash? Hip shots? What do you think fellow photographers?

There has been an intense focus on photographing the environment. Nothing is posed and everything is in the natural speed and process of the Africa Mercy. At least from what I heard, the sense is to document activity, change, growth, sorrow, hope, and the healing touch of the in Togo.

In just a few short weeks…I’ll be in T O G O.

Comments

Hope you have an amazing time on the Africa Mercy. I grew up on the former ship. And have also worked for Mercy Ships in Sierra Leone from 2005-mid 2009. I visited the Africa Mercy in November 2008 which was great. Amazing ship, Great people, Impacting ministry. I wish you all the best as you prepare for your journey!

~Sandra

Popular Posts