Advice from Photojournalists


Hurricane Katrina, originally uploaded by Photo2217.

There are tons of ways to find information about some of our favorite documentary photographers. Most have a website and some other cyber social network too. We can see where they just were and what images they have taken, and the overall feeling of what they experienced is captivated with that lil Nikon. So Amazing!

I receive a publication from Christians in photojournalism, and they do a wonderful job of sharing stories of many photojournalist are currently going through. Careers that are involved in traditional forms of media news have been hit hard. Many have lost their jobs, which has forced them to look for work in other areas, or truly think outside the box and create new forms of communication.

The last newsletter from winter 2009 shared a particular story that impressed me, and arrived at an opportune time. If I wasn’t planning on the Togo trip perhaps it would have gone right over my head, but I devoured every word on this one. Ron Londen conducted an interview with Barry Guiterrez a former photojournalist for the rocky mountain news. The story is an excellent one that shares the often non-glamours side of photography. Ron shares the story of a photojournalist that struggled with a year of both a personal and career loss, and toward the end of the story, Ron quotes barry stating the following.

“God is my photo editor,” he says. “He’s the one I’m looking to for my next assignment.”

Isn’t that the case? I have held many jobs and have worn a variety of hats. In the midst of all the jobs, I always thought God is so good. He’s better able to handle any of these jobs, and I need to trust him as my manager, editor, boss, and professor. He knows what He’s doing, and will supply the gig I need. Not only will He supply the gig, but He will provide a way for me to have the right tools (education/equipment/creativity) for the gig too.

Comments

Popular Posts