My last reflections while still in the US


buenos vientos(3), originally uploaded by Boy Obsolete.
So in less than twelve hours, we will be jumping into our big Mercy Ships van and leave the IOC (Mercy Ships head quarters). The van will take us to the Dallas airport where we (me+29) will soon commence on the numerous flight paths towards Freetown, Sierra Leone.

What has it been like in Texas?
When I first arrived I felt a bit woozy from my dipping flight into Tyler. But East Texas has land, lots of land. I come from the San Francisco bay area, and although California is very beautiful we’ve managed to fit a lot of people in a rather small amount of space. So I’m completely shocked to visualize, several seemingly state park size lots with homes centered in the midst of them along the road side. And then I realize it’s not a state park but a residence with a yard.

while driving along the road in Garden Valley, Texas

We have had various climates as well. My first week was brilliant and sunny. A couple of weeks later it snowed. We then had a gradually warming up week that lead us to have a fantastic weekend of canoeing at the Tyler State Park only to come home to a week of snow again. I am trying to appreciate the snow as much as possible and really did like the few moments I got to play in it. It was the ice breaking wind that would rip against my face from women’s dorm, to the International Lounge, to the Oasis, and the Anchorage CafĂ© that was severely unmanageable. If I have to say Brrrrrrrrrrrr one more time, I’m going to freeze. While dealing with the freezing temperatures I am going to wish that I had packed some snow for the hot weather we’re about to face in Freetown.
1st snow storm

relaxation at the Tyler State Park (btw. I didn't leave the bag in the park).

2nd snow storm


What has it been like with Mercy Ships?
An experience. I realized during my second week of classes that I haven’t been in school for quite some time. I wasn’t use to having to be on time or face the consequences by the teacher and that was an adjustment. But I met my entire gateway team (all 30) and they are each so individually unique and multi-faceted. There is much beneath the surface to my team and we’re a group made up of complex organic risk takers no doubt. Through these long classes we managed to come together as friends in a short amount of time. Through these classes we learned some of the deepest mysteries of ourselves and the nature of our Creator. We also had some really phenomenal teachers who open the lid to some pressure cooking questions inside of me. And we were surrounded by our small group family that encouraged us and kept us accountable throughout the time we were here. From a work side of things I got to meet our entire department. Faces and locations to the numerous exchanges of previous emails while in Togo. What a handsome group too! Great office space. But I truly miss my lil bat cave on the Africa Mercy.



What have been my highlights?
Meeting and re-meeting good friends. Meeting the really great Marketing team for Mercy Ships. Visiting the teen mania campus (with inclusive tour of media dept. wow). Listening to Dr. Andrew Clark (phenomenal). Intelligently scrunching up the concept of world views into three basic mental digestible by Camille Bishop. To meeting the Gateway team, that was so encouraging to us every day. My friend Cassidy & I also went on a photographic adventure one afternoon around the different small towns nearby. But my two favorite continual highlights are the countless profound conversations that I have had with so many new friends, and the deep prayers we’ve extended on behalf of one another. Oh, Oh, Oh, and who could forget that amazing Sunday at the cowboy church! Yee-Haw!


We went to a REAL cowboy church

What will I do on Feb 8th?
Head out for Sierra Leone and the Gateway Field Service. We will spend a few weeks (as the ship sails from Durban) preparing for its arrival by working at the dock, helping out at the new hospitality center (patient recovery center), and Cheshire Home for physically challenged youth. We all would covet your prayers and positive thoughts. It’s going to be an amazing time, I am sure. I can’t wait to touch ground in Africa once more. This time in Freetown, Sierra Leone.

(Forgive the typos and the poor grammar; it’s been a long day)

Comments

Popular Posts