The Palette Team


Last night was a great opportunity to meet with some of the most creative minds in Santa Cruz/San Jose. Vintage Faith Church (my home church) had developed a relevant creative arts team. It was a lil less than a year and half ago that I became a part of the team. We're called Palette.


It's five years into the new millennium and there are people just like you and I at church. But there is a twist. A team known as the Palette team purposefully gather together to put our creative skills together to create a space where Jesus can be worshiped. A place that we can come as creative beings and seek our original Creator.

I've been a part of other environments that didn't recognize art. Didn't see photography as an important skill. That went to the point of denying the call of photography over my life. So imagine this lil dry sponge submerged now into an Olympic size pool. To find others who had jumped into this pool so long ago. I've met amazing people that have asked me to consider the what if's? Imagine that. Considering the what if we do this? if we ask this? if we as a community of hundreds could gather and try.....

We meet in this coffee house and I wonder often if the people around us can hear our ideas. Some could probably hear mine since they are often really bizarre and I express myself rather loudly. But I can't help it. Ideas just flash into my head like lighting. I've never even found that in school. In fact I wish that lightning speed inspiration happened then, perhaps I would have stuck it out. I look about the palette members. It often different representatives of our community. Last night we had... Dan Kimball (my pastor), Cheryl (our leader), Lucas (Mr. Ink), Rob (community pastor), Wendy (her paintings ahhhhh! beauty)

<- she did this one...it hangs over my fireplace
underneath it reads.... PEACE OF GOD

Then there is Justin (sacred space king), Kristin (future author & amazing friend). What a team! I sit there and feel so blessed. I've been given the oppoturtinty to sip coffee, share my deepest/weirdest inspirations & still be called friend, love others, brainstorm, and create in His miraculous name. We stay for long hours but usually a lil piece of me feels sad when it's over. But the true expressions come out from our depths weeks later.

I often arrive to church a lil early. As a photographer my key role is to witness. So I span the entire sanctuary. I see Josh Fox and his team perfecting that skill that takes us into the heavenlies. I see the tech team working on the sound, lights, and beautiful light filled murals, I can see Geoff, Justin, & Lucas working as buds to set up a space. A space when us ordinary humans will make contact with an extraordinary God that will transform our lives permanently. I see Angie and her team eager to smile and love a new person just because they can. It in their nature to do so. I see Cheryl, Wendy & Beth singing beautifully over that glorious canvas that visually unites us all. Soon service begins and Dan is preparing to come up and bless us with a beautiful view of the bible. My job is easy. I document what has been beautifully developed throughout the week. I document all the efforts that have been put forth by so many and I secretly at times cry through my viewfinder. Blessed. Blessed beyond words. Blessed to be. I've been given the opportunity to yet document another miracle. The power to create. The God given freedom to create for Him and in Him. Wow.

Comments

Popular Posts