Sleeping in The Belly of The Whale


I am sitting in the belly of the whale.

I woke up at 6am today in total darkness. Is this what Jonah felt? Is this what it felt like to be in my Mama’s belly? It’s pitch black in my berth. There are no windows, and with the lights out, it’s easy to imagine being in the belly of a whale.

The boat swaying, up and down, right to left, front and back. I touched my belly to wondered if I was quezy. Fortunately, I am not, but I do feel abnormally eager to breathe fresh air and to see daylight. I’m on deck 3 from what I understand is nearly the bottom of the boat. I share my accommodations with 4 other gals. I’m the fifth & the last one to arrive in our room. The gals are Carmen, Ryn (my mate), Lynda, and Aryna (sp?). Super wonderful gals and super helpful in getting me situated in the room.

None the less, it’s small. Super small. Tiny. Miniscule. I have a closet that does fit all of my clothes. I have a shelf in the medicine cabinet that doesn’t fit my Cosco size Listernine (I belive in fighting germs), I have three shelves that sit above a shared desk that I have yet to sort in my usual OCD (tallest to shortest) ways. I have a desk to share but can’t figure out what I will place on there quite yet. Flowers? Who knows. Oh and did I mention I was on the top bunk? Yeah! My child hood nightmare of being the chubby girl at camp who collapses on the cute petite girl may become a reality in the days that are ahead. But as as I galloped it up on to my bed, the clean white sheet and warm blanket were a great comfort.

In a matter of moments the belly of this whale rocked me to sleep.
And with all the hmm’s and I wonders that are currently running through my mind, I asked myself if I am happy. My response was a physical heart skip and single tear out of my left eye. I then nodded to myself (in the darkness) and replied ‘YES’

Comments

Unknown said…
Howdy! I believe your bunkmate is my daughter, Catherine, aka Rin. Has she told you she loves photography too? Give her a big squeeze for me; I really miss her, especially now because her laptop is down . Teach her some cool photog tricks too. I'm betting you'll LOVE your service on the AFM! God bless you!!

Popular Posts