what do you pack?

An old friend once pointed out that there is a specific ritual when it comes to packing from travel that I have adopted. It’s a routine that can take 3 days or can take 30 minutes depending on the adventure that is at hand. Either way, I can’t say no to a new adventure, and am quick to pack, and plan.

This adventure to Togo is a bit of a different one. For one, I have never been out of the country longer than a couple of months. Secondly, I have also never lived on a ship. Third, what do you pack for 100 degree weather and super humidity, when it’s only 47 in Milpitas?

So I have adapted this ritual and have made the following routine. I am sure there are things that I will forget to bring, and there are things that I will pack that will never come out of my suitcase. It happens for every trip. When I was a child I would pack a whole suitcase of shoes, fourteen to be exact. My dad still brings this up to this day. “Got your fourteen shoes packed for a thirteen day vacation again?” And even now I am wondering if five pairs of shoes are too many for Togo.

There are two travel packing heroes in my life. When it’s time to edit my packing options there are two questions that I ask myself. The first is “What does Amanpour put in her bag?” I also think about Carrie, and how she managed to fit ten outfits and a blow dryer in an overnight bag. I was in shock. I took careful mental notes, and knew that Carrie’s packing techniques would come in handy. So after I wonder what Amanpour would pack, I begin to think…’how did Carrie get all that stuff in that little bag?’

My routine du jour is as follows. Friday, get last minute items (black pants, meds, film), and do laundry tonight. Last load is currently washing. Saturday lay out a suitcase? Two suitcases? Or one suitcase and overnight? Ugh! This is where I am stuck. Sunday, I shall pack; hopefully before I watch the Saints win!

This morning I thought, how would God pack, and what did the heroes of the Bible pack? And I remembered Noah and the two by two packing he was instructed to do. And then I thought about how Jesus sent out the disciples two by two, and thought this is a good number, and idea. So I will take 2 buttoned up shirts, two t-shirts, two dresses, two dress pants, two jeans, two shorts, two work out outfits, two bricks of 220vc 400, two bricks of 220 delta100, two…, two…, two… I think this will be a good rule of thumb for packing. What do you think?

We shall see tomorrow, after the laundry has been washed and put away, all shoes neatly placed in the closet, all jewelry tucked in its box, socks folded neatly, room cleaned (vacuumed). Soon after all these other to dos are accomplished, the packing will then commence.

Comments

Popular Posts