And the next journey begins....

December 6, 2009

Dear Friends,

You may have already heard through the grapevine, that I am going back to Africa. I’ve received emails and a few facebook comments asking for more details about the trip and what I will be doing while I am out there. Since I’ve been accepted for this job, I’ve been swamped with work, family events, the holidays, and this is the first afternoon available to write to you. Let this be the first note to say YES. YEP. U-HUH. I am going back to Africa. Please read the following paragraphs to find out more about this incredible journey...

Sometime ago, I had the opportunity to work (photo document) for a local non-profit known as PACT. PACT does an amazing job of brining together faith communities, concerned neighbors, and political officials to make a positively permanent change. While emailing the Administrative Assistant Mercy for PACT, I accidentally emailed the non-profit Mercy Ships. My email to Mercy included a link to the photos I had taken of one of their action meetings, and Mercy Ships responded quite confused. I thanked Mercy Ships for letting me know, and quickly sent the link over to PACT so my clients could have their photos. Mercy Ships emailed me back and said that there was a Photographer position open on Mercy Ships 2010, and I might be interested. And the story continues...

In essence this trip has come up by a divine mistake. Over much prayer, advice, time, I put in the application for the position of Photographer aboard the Mercy Ships. Sometime later, I had an interview, and a couple of days after; I officially received an offer letter. Everything else just fell into place. The interim pastor and Session gave me the time needed away from work, my pastor released me with a blessing, my family was in agreement, and my closest friends encouraged me through this open door. And off I go...

I will be leaving in mid-February for about three months to the country of Togo. Togo is situated on the West Coast of Africa between the larger nations of Ghana and Nigeria. I have been to Nigeria in 1998 and fell in love with the country and continent. I am so greatly looking forward to going back to this area of the world again, and visually taking you along with me.

In the next couple of days I will give you more information about the trip and the incredible work of Mercy Ships. In the meantime if you would like the general information about Mercy Ships, please follow the website. www.mercyships.org

Comments

Tyrone said…
Yo Liz, we also now live in San Jose...we just came back this year from being on the Africa Mercy. I personally have been with them from 2001-2009 and my wife (who I met on the ship) has done 2 years with them.

There is a links blog at http://mercyshipslinks.blogspot.com there are many people who are on the ship that the links to their blogs are there and you can read them and maybe make some email friends to help you make the transition easier.

Meg in Africa (on the links) is an RN that was there last year and is now working in the media department as photographer/story writer...etcetera.

You can also submit questions thru the comments.
Anonymous said…
thanks Tyrone. I'll check the link out now.
Carmen said…
yay! I am so excited for you!

Popular Posts