Friday October 5th, 2007 - Grand Rapids

Friday October 5, 2007
Grand Rapids, Michigan

My evening at the Prince Center came to a finish this morning. I woke up at 6:45am, and closed my eyes again. Suddenly I was awoken by a 7am wake up call. I didn’t even know that I had fallen back asleep. I had 45 minutes to get ready. I had spent the majority of the prior evening loading up my bags again. Apparently, I’ve been the designated person to take to the missions’ team bags of goodies. I have Marika’s coconut. And now I have another missionaries Calgon (take me away) bath wash. It’s kind of fun. I feel like I’m taking in cargo or rations for the front linesman. I think often in the ww II days the media/photographer crews would do that too.

At 8am I drove everyone back to the CRWRC conference center. We started off the day talking about the homework we did at home. Some did their research. Others didn’t even have an organization to research. All six of us come from completely different backgrounds. We have Bill, he’s from BC Canada. He’s an elder in that region and has been to Uganda a billion times. Somehow I’ve adopted him as my grandfather. He is super smart. Likes to take naps. And has a great bustling time getting through customs. There is Mark from Toronto. He’s a pastor at a church there. He said that mercy isn’t his gift, but that he’s been challenged by his congregation to go to Africa and take the HIV/AIDS dive, so he decided to. There is Judy, she’s in Canada too and is working with the donor group for the CRC. And there is Nancy. She lives in Iowa and is on the elder board. She doesn’t have much experience of the HIV/AIDS world and doesn’t think that there is anyone in her community that has it. They would probably move to another area where there is better medical help that they can experience. And then there is Kristen. She is kind of on the tired side right now, and just wants to get there. She has a great personality even though she is a bit under the weather. She makes everyone feel super welcome. We’re keeping each other great company, and forming a great team. Glad we got put together.

I forgot my hair brush and so did she. We’re going to purchase one in Amsterdam tonight. Remind us if we forget. Heheheh

At lunch today three directors from Africa arrived. One was from Uganda. The other, from Kenya. And one from Nigeria. They began to tell us of the needs of Africa and tears started to roll down my eyes again. He said that Africa isn’t poor. Africa doesn’t think that they’re poor. They’re poor because we tell them that they are. What Africa wants is opportunity. Africa wants a chance.

We watched a video of women who live near Lake Victoria and the conditions that they’re under. Most are widows due to HIV/AIDS. Most use the fishing industry for food and income earning trade. But most of the boats, which do the fishing, are run by men. And the delivery trucks are run by men too. So instead of bartering a percentage of the profit the women barter with their health and safety. They offer sex for a guarantee of fish, fish transportation to the market, and a prime sale spot for selling fish in the market too. Many of the women are HIV+ and don’t tell these men, because they will lose the business and the opportunity to feed their kids….the video is amazing. I want to get a copy. I haven’t seen anything this good in a really long time. They even interview an African man that takes a plastic phallus and show people how to properly use a condom. And there were tens of people surrounding him.

He answered a call. Someone has to do it.

While at lunch the African directors began to introduce themselves and found a moment where still photography isn’t sufficient. And out of nowhere I pulled out the camera my dad gave me. Again. A video camera. I haven’t done anything with video since I was in high school. But today I did it. And the voice and inspiration recorded couldn’t have been captured on film. It probably will turn out horribly. I keep thinking about what my friend Aldo Mora (film director) would think about the whole thing. Aldo, I did the best I could. Honestly, I did.

Idella brought us to the Grand Rapids airport. I checked my bags. They are now away from me until I arrive in Nairobi.

Oh I’ve got to type that line again.

When I arrive in Nairobi. Incredible. Sigh.

So now it’s Grand Rapids, to Detroit, to Amsterdam to Nairobi.

Please keep us in your prayers.

Comments

tom said…
Hi Liz!

I hope you had a good flight! Were you able to buy your hairbrush? hehe. I would like to hear about Amsterdam and Nairobi when you get settled and all. I will write again tomorrow.

Take Care Liz,
Miss You.

Tom

Popular Posts

Wind...