Gladys Aylward - Inn of the Sixth Happiness

The Virtuous One

Many years ago, a preparation took place to head out to Nigeria. It was the first mission trip outside of North America and on the first African adventure planned. Other foreign opportunities had come to travel to India the year before but there were several complications that prevented me from going. But when it came to Nigeria, I was determined to head out there.

I had already placed my application and was in training for Nigeria. Every Sunday afternoon we had a meeting in my old HS classroom preparing for the trip. I am not sure of the exact day or hour, but it was a warm restless night on Ryan Street. The air was thick and I couldn’t stay asleep. I woke up, left my bedroom, and walked into the kitchen to have something to drink. Still not sleepy, I decided to turn on the TV. I got a comfy spot on the love seat and adjusted the volume to an acceptable level that I would not wake up the rest of my family members, and began to flip through the channels.

I am a huge fan of classic films and of Ingrid Bergman “Casablanca fame”. And the rolling credits and her name with a pastoral panoramic in the background. And the words, “Inn of the Sixth Happiness” appeared. I was intrigued, and sat back to watch a potentially great film. Oh and it was. It’s the story of Gladys Aylward, a missionary from England who had a heart and passion for China. She was the first coffee house ministry before coffee house ministry ever became the church outreach trend. She wasn’t considered qualified to be a missionary and had been rejected by several missionary societies, and was seen only fit to clean houses, mend clothes, and serve others. She saved every penny of her hard earned money and took a train from Europe all the way to China, and met up with a woman who ran an Inn. The older woman soon passed away and Gladys was left to run the Inn and take care of the vulnerable people in her village including, orphans, prisoners, women who had their feet bound, and ended up even ministering to the chief of the village. I will not give away the whole movie.

It’s a long movie, but it is a must see. I sat there and laughed and cried through the whole movie and loved Ingrid’s performance through the entire film. She says some captivating lines that would inspire anyone who has a heart to serve, and had a determination to fulfill the call of God in their lives, despite all obstacles. Have a tissue with you when you watch it. Watch it alone with a hot cup of tea, or with a group of friends. Either way, this is a great film! I was just about to quote the end of the film and felt it would be best for you to wait and see. The last three lines are epic!


I think you can get it on Netflix too!

Comments

Popular Posts