French Quarter at night


French Quarter at night, originally uploaded by Photo2217.

This photo is one of those ones that I would have never been able to have constructed, re-construct, or even dream about. This photo was a photo that I knew if I didn't take it, I would have regrets for the rest of my life.

I started to walk back to my Hotel Duaphine from Bourbon Street. It had already been a lovely evening filled with great jazz music, and a great dinner at Sammy's when I noticed this black bird.

The black bird caughy my eye because it was sound asleep. So asleep that it's neck was nestled into it's chest and had puffed out it's feathers. The bird looked so similar to the chickens I use to have as a kid. They would just fall asleep wherever they felt like closing their eyes, and that's exactly what this lil black bird was doing.

But then I saw a pair of legs next to him and someone relaxing on a stair. This isn't an uncomon look late at night in the quarter. Often times you'll find people sitting on the step and resting from the partying or having a smoke.

After looking at the bird, noticing the shoes, noticing the unbutton buttoned up shirt, the beard and a man gazing at the sky? Wait. He's ...no way? Asleep? Yep sound asleep. Out cold. So I snapped another photo. This time not only of the bird but of his lil friend too the boy (man) in blue.

There the two of them slept, nestled in the arms of the quarter, as a bright halogen filled moon shined down on them ever so brightly. In the middle of the night, in the midst of all the chaos they found time to rest from their days mapped out adventures and opic perspectives.

which leads me to share one of my fave jazz songs with you.
"bye bye blackbird"
I always request this song at pres hall, no one does it like them.

Pack up all my care and woe,
Here I go,
Singing low,
Bye bye blackbird,
Where somebody waits for me,
Sugar's sweet, so is he,
Bye bye
Blackbird!

No one here can love or understand me,
Oh, what hard luck stories they all hand me,
Make my bed and light the light,
I'll be home late tonight,
Blackbird bye bye.

Pack up all my care and woe,
Here I go,
Singing low,
Bye (bye) bye (bye) blackbird.
Where somebody waits for me,
Sugar's sweet, so is he,
Bye (bye) bye (bye) blackbird.


No one here can love or understand me,
Oh, what hard luck stories they all hand me,
(Oh oh oh oh)
Make my bed, light that light,
I'll be home late tonight,
Blackbird...

Make my bed and light the light,
I'll be home late tonight,
bye bye!

Comments

Popular Posts