The Jesus Stamp - North Carolina

I just read a story about Bach, the composer. Bach regularly inscribed the beginning of his scores with a the letters jj, which is Latin for "Jesu, Java," or "Jesus Help." At the end of his composition he wrote "Soli Deo Gloria," or "To God Be the Glory,"

This has been an ongoing theme. It's something I've been thinking about for a month now. what is the artist statement? What is the stamp or signature that I'm leaving on my work? Is it even my work?

There is a passage in II Corinthians that states we are our own epistle. Not with ink or paper but the letter of Christ love is fixed to our heart and transferable as a life line.

So perhaps at the age of 29 I'm anxious to know what is the epistle that I'm writing? What am I trying to say? What has already been placed withing my heart?

I've often looked at my work and have compared it with others. And I don't know how God will ever use me. I look at some of the greatest artist out there and honestly my stuff could use some improvement. And as I write this I feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit. That it's a false spiritual humility at times to undermine what He's given me. It's almost self effacing at times. I do it unintentionally and yet it's there. But I guess, I don't have the right to make the final call. If my work is good enough for the glory of God. And out of no where I was stuck with the story of the man who left these helpers with some money to invest. The last helper didn't do anything but bury and save it.

There has been so many times that I have buried my talent. For important reasons and for utterly stupid ones. But the strangest aspect of art is that as soon as you pick up that camera, it all comes back to you. Often times you can pick up right where you left off.

I admire several themes about the Bible. One is God's love towards crafty people. He mentions them by name in the Hebrew Bible. He mentions the craftsmen who built the ark. He mentions them as he mentions the kings, prophets, disciples, apostles, teachers, etc. Often times the artist were both of these. He cares for them just as much. Artist indeed are valued by Him.

Comments

Popular Posts

Wind...