Pre-Op - Medical photos

Female maxillofacial patient - pre op medical photo.
DSC_7989 -BW, originally uploaded by Photo2217.

As I walk out from the ship, down the gangway, and into the Admissions tent, an inner preparation begins. I know that the hospital needs me to take photos of their patients on the day that they are admitted. The hospital wants photo documentation of the condition the patients. Without someone taking these photos there isn’t a visual proof of the conditions we work with to try to heal. The photos have to be crisp, obvious, well exposed, and purposed. These are the reminders I give myself as I take my steps towards the Admissions tent. It’s become my mediation truthfully.

I set up my make shift studio with the great help of the admissions team and prepare to take the first patient into my studio. The conditions vary. The conditions are quite more severe than any other locations I have seen.

And as I photograph, I can hear the gentle nurse nearby ask a series of questions to a nine year old girl.

“Has she started her menstrual cycle?”

Her caregiver nods her head ‘yes.’

“Is there any chance that she could be pregnant?”

Her caregiver shakes her head ‘no.’

“Are you sure? Should we test just in case?”

We live in a world where a nine year old girl suffering from an enormous maxilla tumor also has to be faced with the possibility that she could be pregnant too.

originally written on Sep 27
7:25am

Comments

Popular Posts