Celebration Fridays


DSC_9517 copy, originally uploaded by Photo2217.

March 26th, 2010
Past midnight so it’s really the 27th

I forgot to mention of my highlights yesterday. My little patient friend Farouck gave me one of the most special gifts ever. He gave me two apples and some grapes, wrapped in purple tissue paper and a black plastic bag. His mom mentioned it to him, but was too embarrassed to show it to me once he was asked. Mehza my translator discovered it, and he was upset that it was revealed because he is so shy about offering gifts. I took it whole heartedly and honestly it was an answer to prayer. Since I never wake up early enough to eat breakfast, mostly due to the fact that it’s a carb overload on the ship. Cereal and bread. There is hardly ever any fruit. Earlier in the morning as I was getting dressed and looking in the mirror, I prayed for fruit for breakfast. Seriously it was the first time, and just an hour later I had a bag of fruit for my delight. But the true reason I was so touched, is because fruit is truly expensive in West Africa. I asked Mehza how much was my bag of fruit approximately, and she replied almost $2. Farouck’s family gave me a very substantial gift. That fruit basket could have been a whole day or more of wages for Farouck’s father. It made me cry. He’s adorned my arm with bracelets but such a pricey answer to prayer, I will never forget. Ever. Two apples and a handful of grapes. Delicious.

But do you want to hear about my highlight today? Well actually there were several. I did do my quick photo rounds around the ward. I said hi to everyone I could and said hello to the new kids that were recently admitted. One of the kids was in total tears and some crazy guest videographers were around videoing the kid (naked & crying). We asked them to stop and they did for awhile, but we couldn’t get this poor kid to stop crying. His orthopedic surgery was recent and he just had casts placed on his legs and the whole thing was just so new for him. So I ran over and let him take some pictures with my camera. Instant tear stop. I heard Laura (PA) say. We can give this kid pain medication or a dose of Liz Cantu! Wow. Really. So great. Camera therapy can be added to sticker, bubble, coloring book therapy too.

We took the hospitality coordinator and patients to the hospitality center. One of our writers Joy had a meeting with one of the families from the infant feeding program and we were on our way. Farouck in front and the rest of the gang in the back! Off we go through the city of Lome, listening to the most up to date dance music we could find on the radio.

We arrived at the hospitality center and all my patient friends were there. I saw Bobo, and Akousiwa, and well the names could go on and on. But I also got to see a bit of what our eye team does. They see hundreds of patients a day and part of the hospitality center is dedicated to their offices and eye screenings. We walked in at an amazing time. People who were not able to see on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday could now see on Friday. The blind shall see! Hallelujah!

Every Friday around 10am they have a dance festival in honor of such a wonderful miracle. Did I say dance? How about boisterous, jubilant, rattling, thumping, dance stomp of the year! The entire crowd (60approx) got together and started to dance to the most beautiful worship music I have ever heard. We got in the circle and just started to dance, dance, and dance. I pulled out for a bit to take some photos, when a grandmother who recently had cataract surgery grabbed me and we started to dance. And the right after that Farouck’s mom came near me and we started to dance too. It was so so fabulous. Some of the gals that were there had casts so I went up to them and grabbed their hands and started to dance with them while they were sitting in benches. It was such a joyous day.

Folks from the PR team and Marketing team back at the IOC were there too. I got some photos of them dancing away too. Anyone who was there today had a kid playing with them. Laughing and dancing as never before. Oh and Libertad (sp?). She clung her little casted legs around me all day. She kissed my cheeks and we made growly noises to one another. It was such a blast!

If you haven’t been over to the Hospitality Center on Friday mornings…you’ve got to! It’s the hip happening spot in Lome!

Luke 10:30-32Jesus answered by telling a story. "There was once a man traveling from Jerusalem to Jericho. On the way he was attacked by robbers. They took his clothes, beat him up, and went off leaving him half-dead. Luckily, a priest was on his way down the same road, but when he saw him he angled across to the other side. Then a Levite religious man showed up; he also avoided the injured man.
33-35"A Samaritan traveling the road came on him. When he saw the man's condition, his heart went out to him. He gave him first aid, disinfecting and bandaging his wounds. Then he lifted him onto his donkey, led him to an inn, and made him comfortable. In the morning he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, and ‘Take good care of him. If it costs any more, put it on my bill—I'll pay you on my way back.'
36"What do you think? Which of the three became a neighbor to the man attacked by robbers?"
37"The one who treated him kindly," the religion scholar responded.
Jesus said, "Go and do the same."

Comments

Popular Posts