A Friday Morning Dream

Friday, June 20th – the dream

This is the dream I had:

Apparently I lived in a mountain retreat. The air smelled so sweet and it was so warm yet very comfortable. There were cute bungalows in the middle of gardens of wild flowers. It was near sunset and everyone in this community were retreating back home.

Part of my responsibility at this retreat center was to make sure that everyone was ok. That everyone had what they needed to work and get the day’s job accomplished. So I went to all of my stations and talked with all of my friends and people that I was helping. Everyone was in this dream. Friends from childhood. Old church friends. People from vintage faith, etc.

I grew increasingly excited towards the end of my route because it was a walking path around a little lake. I had my camera around my neck and even though I was doing all the other odd jobs I would still take a moment to take these macro detailed shots of nature. Lavender. Bees. Grains of grass, rocks on a path, water droplets, sun flares. And I neared the lake.

The lake was small but as blue as Lake Tahoe if not more so. There were bungalows nearby and I began to walk towards them to say hello and wave at different people in the door frames to make sure that they were ok for the night. Suddenly out of nowhere Dan Kimball’s there dressed like a rockabilly version of Huck Finn. He had a cool cowboy straw hat. Checkered shirt, and a rolled up pair of jeans and was barefoot. He was sitting on a rock that had been carved into a slightly reclined chair and he was writing on a whole bunch on a cut up brown paper bags. It was all the paper he could find to write his new book. He had been researching by the lake and I had interrupted him. He said that it was a welcomed break and we talked for a great deal of time because the sun had changed spots.

He saw that I had been itching to dive into the lake. I was getting so distracted and couldn’t pay attention to anything Dan wasn't saying anything anymore, because all I wanted to do was jump. I just had to do it. So Dan said. Go ahead and do it. Just jump. And I looked at him and pointed to my camera, as a way to say, that I couldn’t because my camera will get damaged. I was about to hand it to him and ask him to hold it for me, and he simply refused.

He told me to take it with me, and nothing would happen to my camera. To jump, come up to the top, swim across, and when I get across the lake, my camera would not only be ok, but it would be new and spotless.

So without even really thinking about it. I don’t even recall even saying goodbye to him. I just swung my camera around behind me and ran off the dock. All of a sudden there was nothing under my feet and I was running straight into the lake. Splash. Plunge. Deep. Engulfing bubbles. It felt wonderful. Surrounded in the bluest clearest water. I could see the sun rays piercing the water and I sank even deeper down. I touched my camera and it had remained around my neck. I noticed that swimming with my sneakers on isn’t very comfortable. That my glasses remained on and hadn’t been impacted by the leap.

In my dream I wanted to remember it all. How great it felt to have almost touched the bottom of the lake to the slow rise to the top for a breath of air. To each great stroke towards the shore. When I got out of the lake I noticed that my camera had a special water proof coating on it and it didn’t even get wet. It just got super sparkly clean.

I looked across the lake and Dan was standing there to make sure I had gotten across ok. I simply waived. Quit my evening tasks. And kept walking down the path.

I then woke up.

Comments

Popular Posts