Tuesday October 16th, 2007 - uganda

Tuesday October 16, 2007
Lira, Uganda

I am writing again the morning after our Tuesday in Lira. I got home so tired last night from our days events that I quickly fell asleep on my bed and didn’t wake up until an hour before breakfast this morning. So, I enjoyed a good breakfast and have an hour or so to write before our van arrives for the days journey.

Yesterday was a beautiful day. The weather started off so gently and then increased well over 100 degrees. Dale & Marika and the diocese gang met us at the Hotel Pan-Afrique to take us to our next destination. Sarah (CRWRC intern) came walking and joined us just a minute later.

We drove through the town of Lira. The market was in full swing. There is so much life and activity here that I’m convinced that Uganda will be whole again. I’m sure of it. The people are out on their bicycles running errands. The children in their school uniforms are traveling in large groups to their class rooms. The ladies in the market are surrounded by purchasers. The town is growing. The people stare at us as we drive by. They give us mean staring looks. At first it seems intimidating and unwelcoming but the minute I smile at them or wave, they glow up and smile and wave back. Sometimes their waves are more vigorous than mine. I think it’s just curiosity in the locals face not anger.

We traveled with a group called COSBEL today. They are an organization that specifically works with the local people of Lira. They started out about 20 years ago with a sister from England. She recruited about 12 nurses and leaders of the community to reach out and help one another. They now work in a variety of areas, but mostly help patients and families of HIV/AIDS. They also work on a sustainable food programs. They also work on getting children an education. They also have started choirs, seamstress classes, and a store where people can buy sustainable food at a lower cost than market. It’s a market where the farmers who have already started to sustain themselves bring some of the food over for the next group to begin sustaining themselves too.

When we drove into the mini compound the choir greeted us with a welcome song. They also greeted us with the banshee yell that many of you might have seen on TV. They danced and clapped and yelled our welcome. We should all do this when we meet old friends. Then we went inside and began our meeting. We met the coordinator and then soon came the director, Alice. She was one of the first volunteers that the sister recruited. She has a super big passion for the community. She is the community and lives in the community. She knows everyone by name and knows the deep conditions going on with everyone that she visits. Her cell phone rings non-stop people inviting her to come over and meet with them for a while. She never said no to any of them, she said I’ll try to make it today if not I’ll go tomorrow. What grace. What strength. I admire her. She looked exactly like JJ’s mom in Good Times. They could have been twins. I wanted to walk behind her like a baby duck just to see how she does it. After our meeting we hopped into our car with a goodbye remember COSBEL in your prayers choir song. It was so fantastic. Ally, our driver, gave me an avocado, and my day was complete.

The first placed we went to was through the highway, off a side road, off another road, down a dirt path, and then down a path that we created with our vans. Alice jumped out of the van, and approached the home we were about to go to. We came to the home of Sam. Sam is an older gentleman. Sam is HIV+. His immunity system is diminished and because of this he got Tuberculosis and was in a grave state. He’s recuperating, but has lost so much weight that he cannot work in the fields anymore and has lost his appetite. He has a niece living with him to take care of him and his children. He stood up with a cane to welcome us. Sam is tall. Sam has huge brown eyes. Sam is such a welcoming gentleman. Everyone greeted him with a respectful handshake and an ‘apoyo’ (hello or thank you).

When I got there I sensed death. I’ve seen death before. I saw death in the hospitals when I would spend the night with my grandmother. All of a sudden a great cold feeling would come across the hospital floors. The beeps of all the machines would lull and everyone would start to whisper. And then within 15 minutes the hospital would be in a code blue because someone had passed on in life. And the same feeling came over me here on this grassy/dirt patch of land. On Sam’s land. In the 100 degree weather of Uganda, I got a chill. And a wind blew through the property that quieted everyone. We all just sat around him, and watched birds circle above him.

Quickly, I heard the Lord say it’s not His time. Pray. Close your eyes and pray. Anoint your hands with the anointed oil and pray for the land, for his family, and for him. While I was doing that Sam, told us about his story and we asked questions and got familiar with one another. When I opened my eyes of praying for him, he turned and just stared at me. He smiled at me for a minute. Then pointed at me with a great big smile. And said to me in English….

YOU HAVE DIAMONDS IN YOUR EYES

He was referring to my eye glasses. But I wanted to run out of there and just cry. He blessed me with those few words of love and recognition. I said my goodbye and shook his hand. But when I did I blessed him and anointed him. He didn’t want to let go of my hand. So I squeezed his hand again and said God bless you. I met that more than I ever did. God bless Sam. He smiled back at me, and then released my hand.

No joke. The birds flying over his head flew away. The heat of the land returned to his property. And I just sat in the front seat of my van and just cried. I cried. Ally looked at me and just smiled. He said ‘it isn’t easy living with the sick’

Our next destination was in the slums of Lira. We went to Tesso Bar in Lira. It’s a rather huge slum. Made up of mud huts. The mud huts aren’t so bad. They’re rather spacious. The main problem is that there isn’t a sanitary system. My grandfather (in sanitary bus for 40+ years) would have gone nuts. There was trash all over the place. And urine and soapy water ran through the slums like a mini stream. There were so many children around, and none of them were in school. They all had bloated bellies, and were not very clean. All the children didn’t stop smiling. They loved hanging out with us. They started to follow us as we walked through the village. Can you imagine 8 North Americans walking through town, we look like the circus had arrived. We met a young man who was HIV+ and was running a fever. We met a young boy who was suffering mentally now because he’s HIV+ too. And we sat in the slum under one of the only trees listening to the stories of the slum. The locals in the village stood around and continued their house chores because they were super curious to know who we were. I sat down and asked the children of Uganda if I could photograph them.

You should have seen their faces. They had such a glow and such a curiosity about life. Yet they needed a fresh touch and new door open. Something. The minute I would shake someone’s hand. They would smile. They would light up. They didn’t leave my side. I took so many photographs of all of them. Not because of the photojournalistic nature, but because I want to remember each one of their faces in my heart and prayers. What happens to them at night? Are they safe? Do their mommies have enough energy to hug and kiss them? Or to even rock them to sleep? I anointed my hands once more and with each high five I blessed them in the name of Christ. And suddenly another group arrived. These kids were older, probably junior high age. And I could feel God all around me. I could feel God confirming an answer to prayer. I was surrounded by the young blood of Uganda. I had the opportunity to be their friend, even if it was just for one day.

Honestly, that moment. In the slums of Uganda there was life. The kids are alive and have a desire to live. They have the energy to make Uganda a happy place again. Everywhere I go all I hear are people saying how Uganda once was. My response will be Uganda will be again. And maybe even better. The faces of the Ugandans light up.

We stopped by another home and visited Agnes. She has just returned from the hospital. She wasn’t feeling well. We stopped in and visited her two at a time for about 5 minutes. She made it a point to repeat/remember each of our names. I was the last to go in. She thought everyone had already left and she had already started to undress herself. I apologized and popped out and she yelled for me to go back in. She sat up from her bed to shake my hand and I quickly laid her back down. I sat on the floor on the edge of her mat and just held her hand. She introduced herself and I did too. And stayed with her for a few minutes. I held her hand and just anointed her and prayed for her. She then whispered to me

GOD IS GREAT. I AM STRONGER NOW.

She had to go back to the hospital that night and get checked up again too.

We then left the slums and went to St. Augustine’s. We had intestines for lunch. I didn’t know until about 9am when we had a great conversation on the way home from dinner. I didn’t know mentally, but my tummy knew instantly. I got so sick from the ride from lunch to our hotel. I had the worst stomach cramps until I finally laid down.

I laid down for about an hour and then we went for a walk into town. We went to the internet cafĂ©. But I went into town with pants on. I got more cat calls and looks from the men that I wish I had worn a skirt. I’ll never wear pants outside of the hotel again. We walked through the market. It was the most compact commerce centers I’ve ever seen. I’ll never complain about parking in Santana row again. It was wonderful to see everyone alive and conversational.

We then walked back to pick up Judy. And then went to the Hotel Lillian. Where Martin tried to order a milkshake. The first waiter said we had milkshakes. The second waiter said we have milkshakes too. But then he said they didn’t have strawberry. Then he said they didn’t have vanilla. Then they said they didn’t have chocolate. And those were all of the items on the menu. We all ordered dished from a four page menu, and then about an hour later they said we don’t have any more chicken. Ordering in Uganda is quite interesting. We ended up having pizzas.

Gotta run…the van is on the way!!!!

Did I mention 7 North Americans walked home at dark through Uganda. We saw fireflies all over the area. And the fleas bit me all over my leg.

Comments

Popular Posts