My August Newsletter

HIV/AIDS EDUCATION TOUR
Liz Cantu
August 2007

Christian Reformed World Relief Committee
http://www.crwrc.org/

e my site
Flickr my photos
Myspace profile
Blog
Greetings Dear Friends

HIV/AIDS is a disease that in the last past year has taken over 2.9 million lives around the world. In the continent of Africa, approx 12 million children have been left vulnerable to the repercussion of this disease.

I've accepted an invitation with Christian Reformed World Relief Committee to go to Africa in October of 2007. Their mission statement is to live justly and love mercy as they are called to communities all over the world to help restore God's original plan for peace. This vision has lead them to work with countries everywhere that are specifically addressing the HIV/AIDS epidemic. And from this my invitation comes. While on this HIV/AIDS Service Learning Tour, I will be able to see first-hand some of the working programs already in place in Africa.

This cultural tour will be in October 4th to the 19th of 2007. I will be visiting Kenya, Uganda, and Zambia. During this time I will learn from the CRWRC (
www.crwrc.org) people staffed in these countries as well as members of the local community. I will study how they partner with one another to deal with this disease and its effects.

Through this education, I'll be asking myself several questions. Are there enough locations to serve clients? What services are being offered? What is the extent of programming? What kind of accessibility is there? How many clients are served yearly, monthly, weekly, daily? What are the demographics being served? Hopefully I'll find some answers and without a doubt I'll be coming home with more questions.

This letter is being sent to you because I've chosen you to be a part of this journey with me. I hope not to be in Africa alone this fall. But that I will have your prayers (for Africa, HIV/AIDS, the vulnerable, myself), positive thoughts, eyes (for reading my blogs and seeing photos), ears (to hear the story upon my return), heart (to match Christ's rhythm for the vulnerable), and hands/feet (to effect globally the ones that we are called to serve). My biggest fear about this journey is that I'm going about it alone. That is the thought that runs through my mind and my heart as I'm preparing for the journey. And then I'm reminded of the great conversations I've had with most of you. Conversations where Christ spirit moved on us, and we began to talk about the great injustices of this world. I've held other conversations where we have talked about God's heart for the defenseless and wounded, and I'm instantly reminded that I'm not alone.

At any moment you can send me an email and ask you to remove me off of this mass form of communication. But as long as you are willing I ask for a few important things. Join me in a prayer for Africa. Join me in reading information in my newsletter and blog about Africa. Join me as a person who wants to see compassion served to the people of our generations all over this world.

Our journey begins today, not in October.

With this prayer for Africa
By National African American Catholic HIV/AIDS Task Force
God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears
O God and gracious God,
You are the God of health and wholeness
In the plan of Your creation,
You call us to struggle in our sickness
And to cling always to the cross of Your Son.
Father, we are Your servants.
Many of us are now suffering with HIV or AIDS.
We come before you and ask you,
If it is your holy will,
To this suffering away from us;
Restore us to health and lead us to know you
And your powerful healing love
Of body and spirit.
We ask you also,
To be with those of us who nurse your sick ones.
We are the mother, father, sister, brothers,
Children and friends of Your suffering people.
It is so hard for us to see those whom we love suffer.
You know what it is to suffer.
Help us to minister in loving, care, support, and
Patience for your people who suffer with HIV and AIDS.
Lead us to do whatever it will take to
Eradicate this illness from the lives of those
Who are touched by it,
Both directly and indirectly.
Trusting in You and the strength of Your Spirit,
We pray these things in the Name of Jesus.
Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts

Wind...