Monday part ONE

2007
Nairobi, Kenya

My official duration in Nairobi has been 48hours. 48 hours can do a lot to a person. When you take situations and experiences like the ones today, one can find themselves changed forever. Really changed. Even without really knowing what you asked for, change has occurred.

I had the worst nights rest. I woke up at midnight (Kenya time) and didn’t fully fall back asleep until 5am. I had to be up at 6am because Nema was coming for us at 7am. So needless to say I didn’t get that much sleep. It was actually so bad that I was getting dizzy spells while getting ready and a few times felt just so sour to my stomach. As I prepared my camera gear in the morning, I pulled out some anointed oil that Pastor Michael gave me and blessed my head, mouth, feet, hands, and tummy with it. Within a few moments I was already feeling better. I had my gear ready to go, including my goulashes . Thanks mom for making me purchase them. It had rained the entire night in Kenya. And left the roads so muddy. I took with me my still camera, video camera, my oil, and my prayer shawl that Pastor Michael gave me. I was prepared for my first adventure in the HIV/AIDS world. Or so I thought.

Nema, picked us up and took us over to the CRWRC offices in Nairobi. They are near the center of town and have office space in a huge building. They are on the 5th floor and have an incredible view of the lush green Nairobi. We met the entire staff. We saw Hans and Heddy again. We met Stephan. We met antother woman who was our tour guide today. I can’t recall her name. I wish I could. But she’s in charge of the entire south east areas of Kenya. She works with the Mt. Kenya area, Kibera, and several other locations. She’s an incredible woman. I’m not sure how she does it. I’m not even sure how her volunteers do it.

We soon loaded our vans and headed out of Nairobi to our first home base care visits. We were on our way to meet volunteers who visit people’s homes that are effected by HIV/AIDS. Not only were we going to visit the volunteers but we were going to visit the homes of the people they work with too. They were about to welcome us into their lives. We drove for the first time all the way through Nairobi and out into the free ways. Over so much terrain. About 1.5 hours outside of Nairobi. We were 4-wheelin it half the time. The rain had caused massive traffic and tons of pot holes everywhere. I thought I was a good driver but Nema could out drive anyone. I want to be just like her. I want to be just like Nema.

We saw so much of Kenya. We saw the wealthy homes of the patriots and expatriots. We saw several embassies. We saw great hospital and universities. We also saw some of the saddest regions in the world. The rich live in the higher parts of Nairobi and the view from their mansions are the slums at the base of the valleys all around them. The poor wake up in the morning and look up, and instead of clouds and sunshine they see their employers mansions awaiting their arrival to provide care to them. It’s such an interesting society. Along the way I saw several nationalities. I saw several Asian folk, however, I’m the only Mexican I’ve seen for a long time.

We arrived to Mang’u in the Mt. Kenya region about 2 hours later. We almost didn’t make it up the road because it was so slippery and muddy. But Nema with her great tactics got us through. The village was small. The center had about 4 small buildings. There were no cement roads just mud. But the people were so gracious and kind to us. They greeted us with a smile and made us feel right at home. They introduced themselves and told us what they all do. There was about 12 or so that met us. We sat in a patio under a metal roof and talked about who we were and what we do and just took time getting to know one another. After we met the provided a great number of refreshments for us. We had a hard boiled egg, tea w/ milk, pineapple, and a sopapilla looking dessert. So delicious. So kind.

Soon we drifted out into our adventures. We split our group in half. I was in Nema’s group. The list had four names on them but we ended up visiting five people instead. We took two vehicles and proceeded to buzz around Mt. Kenya. I saw the famous coffee bean groves, banana plantations, and kayle sprinkled between the properties all over the bush. I closed my eyes and breathed in Africa. In the midst of the muddy roads, vegetable groves, and children in school uniforms waving and life was renewed unto me. I prayed for Africa as I drove through. I prayed for preperations in my heart and soul for the stories these people were about to share with me.

Our first stop was a polytechnic school that CRWRC helps support. As we approached the superintendent was just about to leave to go on an errand. They are a small new school with lots of hope for great projects. They have a waiting list for students trying to get into the technical training school, but there isn’t enough supplies for them. They are hoping to get more supplies soon. The group stood and introduced themesleves and the proceeded to go through each class room. There were probably five rooms total. The students found us a great diversion to the days lessons, and I couldn’t wait to meet them. I let our team go first. Go in and take their photographs and ask questions. I went in after each one of them. While I walked in to the first room the team was walking out. One woman approached me from our team and said don’t bother there isn’t anything in there. And then another gentlemen in there said no point either the room is empty. My heart sank. They didn’t get it. It’s not empty. And what breaks my heart is that the superintended in all his pride for his school heard us North Americans talk rubbish. I looked at him and winked and gave him a thumbs up. He does a good job and the last thing I would want him to feel is disencouraged. And we as North Americans were so wrong. I walked in and there was great woodworkmanship. There were pews, benches, and beds that weren’t quite finished yet, but on their way to beautiful. There was a chalk board that had safety rules for the carpenters. And there were signs on the side that the students made to create their business. There were empty varnish cans, empty from the hard labor of varnishing all of those pieces. The room wasn’t empty, it was filled with evidence of a hard days lesson. The second room was covered with wood shavings. And tons of wood working objects. There was even an anvil in the room. The room smelled of Cyprus. If you haven’t smelled Cyprus it’s unforgettable. It makes the air smell sweet. The third room had four girls in it and one instructor named Daniel. He was the famous town tailor and was offering his experience to the girl in pattern making. I walked into their class room. I had totally disrupted them and they enjoyed every minute of it. They had stayed posed like they had for the others and started laughing at me when I photographed the patterns hanging on the wall instead of them. After I had photographed the patterns I quickly spun around and began to photograph the floor. The girls were perplexed because I didn’t photograph them. I then introduced myself and showed them the photographs I had taken. They giggled. Then I told the girls, it’s now time to take the most important photograph…you. They giggled even more. I loved it. And then I showed them the photos on the viewfinder on the back of my camera. And they loved it.

Next time I come to Africa remind me to bring a Polaroid camera. It’s essential to any photographic ministry. It’s fast and a great gift for everyone to have.

Candida was in there. She is practicing to become a seamstress. And I soon found out that she is a 15 year old orphan. She lost her parents to Hiv/AIDS and through this training she hopes to support herself. She is one of the polytechnic schools best pupils. She works super hard and has hopes that she will be able to provide for herself.
I walk into the next room and there are two young handsome boys in a room. There is a tin shingle on the floor and a motor sitting on top of it. They stop working and the instructor tells them to move away from the motor so I too, can take a photograph. And I tell the instructor that I want to photograph the hands of hard working men in Africa. To prove that they are hard working and are so smart they can fix any engine. It will be a great promotional photograph for when they open their business. And they sat there with there hands filled with engine oil (no gloves) and stood proudly. I took a snap of the engine because everyone else did.

AND THE TOUR WENT ON.

I forgot to mention that in the meeting we had under the tin roof when we first arrived had covered several topics. The what to do and what not to dos. They said for us not to cry or get emotional infront of them because that wouldn’t make them feel good, and to smile and be welcoming as they welcomed us. And they also talked about the stigma of HIV/AIDS and how it still exsists everywhere. And the director of the group said. AIDS doesn’t kill people as much as them knowing that there not loved. He said:

IF PEOPLE DON’T HAVE LOVE THEY FOR SURE WILL DIE QUICKER.

Comments

Popular Posts

Wind...