don't eat ice in Kenya

Thursday October 11th, 2007
Nairobi, Kenya

We left Faraja and went to the market. In the market there is the Java House. We went there for lunch. Each of us ordered something that we hadn’t had in a while. Martin ordered a choc milkshake. Nancy had a salmon bagel. Kristen and I had a chicken quesadilla. I also had an iced coffee. The food was delicious. We had a great chatty time.

We then went to the grocers. Bill picked up some flowers on behalf of all of us to give to Nema. We also picked up a couple of bottles of wine for the dinner she was hosting that night.

We came home and relaxed for a bit. Nema went home to do the fixings. Phillip her husband came and picked us up. Kristen didn’t go, because she wasn’t feeling very well. She had a sinus thing going on. Her ears were killing her, and she had a sore throat. The rest of us arrived happy and hungry. I served myself a bit of everything. Everything she made was so good. She had made about 20 different dishes to try. My favorite was her rosemary chicken over charcoal. So so so good.

Earlier that day I had the iced coffee. Do you recall me typing that a few paragraphs above? Well it didn’t sit too well in my tummy. And I could feel the evidence of it coming after dinner. I felt so bad because I didn’t want Nema to think it was her food. In fact, her food settled my upset stomach. But never the less, I got sick several times at her home. I was so embarrassed.

We still had a good time. I got to meet her three girls. They are so precious. Beautiful. Rebecca the oldest was our host. She talked about her awards and days at school, etc. I had my first taste of Kenyan beer. It was pretty tasty.

Nema was an excellent host. She has a great spirit. And she loves the people that she works with. It’s not another job to her. It’s her life. She is a healer. She was so kind to invite us to her home. I’m blessed.

Comments

Popular Posts