hate using other people's camera

Dear Friends,

Tonight I had a shoot. Took the posed photograph of the honors class of 2007 for San Fran State. We were in the art building on a performance stage. We quietly stood on the side lines and waited for each student to shake hands with everyone, etc. My job was to take the photo of them after they received their hood and to pose them against the yellow velvet curtain. There were about 100 students that graduated with honors this year. They each excelled in something really fantastic. One had a concentration in ancient Roman law. Not sure how that applies to modern times but I give him an A for effort.

I got there and my client had a camera set up for me to use. It was a Canon. I don't shoot Canon I shoot Nikon. Always will too. And they handed me a Canon. Now I've been told by many great photographers that a working camera is a good camera but I just love my Nikon. I know it. I know the buttons with my eyes closed. Handing me a 20D isn't going to help me 20 minutes before the shoot. Ughhhhhhh.

After everyone received their hoods and honors they all stood up for one final applause. I myself get a little excited when this happens. Even though I've been to hundreds of them, but they still get some tears out of my eyes. We stood on the side, hidden by the stage curtains. The bright theater lights shining on the purple robes. Everyone was smiling. Everyone had joy or hope or some type of positive thought towards their future.

And suddenly I saw a woman from Central America. She was standing behind stage. Not bathed in a golden light but illuminated by a white wall, cement floor, and fluorescent lights. She had a mop in her hand and was leaning against it while watching the students graduate. You could just see it in her eyes that she wished she could be on stage too. And my heart broke for her.

My eye sight was literally split in two views but one frame. To my left was the harsh reality of fluorescence and to my right was the soft golden glow of potential. Photography makes me a witness to the strangest truths in life.

Comments

Popular Posts