My First Surgery


DSC_5778 copy, originally uploaded by Photo2217.

Through the vertical rectangle window in the door, I could see the room. I could peep into the operating theater and see the medical team working diligently as they prepared for surgery. People in blue/green standing around monitoring tables, tubes, computers, breathing apparatuses, and the patient.

Yes, the patient. Lying on her back with half of her right face exposed. Exposed? Open. Open? I do not know what the technical term would be for a face half exposed on the operating table. They had made the incisions already, her face was exposed, and the tumor was sitting on the sterilized table completely separate from the patient. The tumor without its blood supply sat alone much like Wilson (in Castaway with Tom Hanks).

Dr. Gary stood near the patient and worked on completing the operation. They would remove a muscle tissue from the forehead/head area and place it where the recent tumor had been. Then they would close up the surgery, send her to recovery, and so the story continues.

The people in the OR were so kind to me and permitted me to stand on a stool and perch over the entire procedure much like the black birds do from a telephone wire. Many asked if I was faint. I just was silent. I didn't have much to say. I cried a bit, but for the most part remained speechless.

Comments

Popular Posts