Lizzy is going back to Africa (again).


DSC01611 copy [50%], originally uploaded by Photo2217.

Yes. It’s true. There is an opportunity to head out to Sierra Leone with the Africa Mercy in 2011. I will be continuing as a Photographer with the Communications team under the Marketing/Public Relations department and will be responsible for documenting some of the amazingly similar stories that we covered while docked in Togo.
In February of 2011, I will be joining the largest non-governmental ship again. Mercy Ships. A quote from their website reads, “Mercy Ships is a global charity that has operated hospital ships in developing nations since 1978. Mercy Ships brings hope and healing to the forgotten poor by mobilizing people and resources worldwide, and serving all people without regard for race, gender, or religion.”
I consider myself very fortunate to be able to return to Africa. Since I have been home many have shared of their desire to see Africa and not everyone is able to go at this present time. Not everyone can volunteer their time and resources to pick up and move to the developing nations in West Africa, but you can partner with me and be a part of this miraculous journey. The ship is filled with professional volunteers that have partnered with dear friends like you to make the ultimate support for those who need the most help.
The time spent in Togo, personally confirmed my desire to work with the vulnerable in developing nations again. The passion to photographically document the lives of people while guided by the creative lens of a compassionate God has motivated me to yet again travel to West Africa. Since the age of four-teen there has been several opportunities to work with non-profits around the world but not for such a wonderful length as the time I will be in Sierra Leone with Mercy Ships. As a photographer I am able to visually explore the path where perception and preconceived thoughts change. As our intellectual eye remembers the subjects in my photos we can then deconstruct past ill preconceptions and further create an environment of emotional solidity and a pledge to an attainable justice for vulnerable humans in West Africa. With Mercy Ships I will take photos that clearly portray the daily work on the organization’s mission and their personal pledge to bring healing to West Africa.

Comments

Anonymous said…
yeo! what can I say Liz. Go live it. J
Anonymous said…
I may see you in April when I am going out to serve in the operating theatres as an anaesthetic practitioner!! Grania from UK

Popular Posts