Shining As Stars


DSC_9353 copy, originally uploaded by Photo2217.

April 9th, 2010
Lome, Togo, West Africa
In the belly of the whale

Shining as Stars Phil 2:
12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. 14Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe 16as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. 17But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. 18So you too should be glad and rejoice with me.

The verse was part of my devotion tonight, in fact all of this chapter was a part of my manna which to feast upon. It has been almost impossible to see stars in Lome. Primarily due to the lights around the port at night that shine brighter than the stars. If one squints at the lights on the neighboring ships that are docked they give an essence of cosmic lights twinkling throughout the night, but it still doesn’t compare to the splendor of a true star.

Earlier this evening, I sat with at a table with friends and a stranger joined us. He began to tell of his adventures and experiences around the world. Out of all the countries he has been in the last half year, Cambodia was his favorite. When he further explained the reasons, it wasn’t because of the architecture, the food, or the culture. The garbage, pollution, and corruption were also rampant, but that did not deter him from appreciating the country. He was moved by the one percent of the Christian population that are willing to loose a home and the respect of their loved ones and community to simply have an agenda in church of prayer. Just prayer. Strike the the JUST, keep the PRAYER.

I’m sitting in this belly of the whale, and I am analyzing the extent of my journey so far. Do I want to go home? No. But my heart is traveling even deeper this time. God in His compassionate way has placed a mirror before me to examine the condition of this old wine skin. Do I resemble anything of my Abba? Could a stranger see the resemblance? Those that know Him, could they see Him in me? Or am I so dense like the night air in the port that it prevents me from shining like one of His stars?

I haved loved greatly on this ship. I have loved to the point where I thought I couldn’t have room for any more love, and then sure enough, around the corner, down the ward, in my office, at the Starbucks, there is room for more love. And in everything there has been…Heart. Coversation. Intercession. Forgiveness. Grace. A start over.

I have also been greatly frustrated. I have grumbled to the point where I thought this was the most I could stand. And sure enough around the corner, by the stairs, near the dining hall, on the other side of Starbucks, there was more frustration. Less heart. Silence. Curses. Grudges. Stubborness.

This week I have been dealing with the internal me. Rexamining. Cleaning. Receiving forgiveness anew. Healing. Trying to go to those deep spots, to just let go. I am not so concerned about the others now. May He begin a new work in me now. Daily. Again. A do over.

Do I practice this text? If the patients on the ward saw this text, would they compare it to me, the crew, to us? Or would they find other words to describe? How do we hold out the word of life to the people of Lome? How do we hold out the word of life to one another that represent dozens of countries around this globe? How do we do everything without complaining and grumbling?

And immediately, my eyes scroll up to the first portion of this chapter:

1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Comments

Carmen said…
I miss you! Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing yyour devotion with us!

Popular Posts