GOING HOME


TGD0310_ADMISSDOCK_LC8, originally uploaded by Photo2217.

March 29th, 2010
10:15pm

There are truly no words for what has taken place on the ship today. This was a day to listen and to embrace physically my dear friends who lost a patient. So many looked after her and so many prayed for her around the world. However, our Lord and His infinite mercy took her home today. Please keep everyone on this ship in your prayers and please keep the family that just lost their baby girl too.

Farouck went home today too. His home is in Benin the neighboring country. The page came through today at 9:15am that Farouck’s last appointment would be today. A lump in my throat appeared which must have really been ample of tears because they started to squirt, through my throat and out through my tear gear glands near my eyes. The tears arrived on my cheeks before my feet took this wannabe brave soul to the outpatient clinic. Knowing that this day would come (three weeks later), would seemingly be a benefit in preparing for his departure, but nothing really worked. The friendly voice on the other end sounded the loudest gong in my heart. “He’s going home today!”

As I entered the outpatient clinic, Farouck and Nacimento were waiting for me. I quickly gave them both a hug and a kiss and heard the latest report from them. All is well. His wound has completely healed. He is free to go home. We stayed for a few moments, took some goodbye photos, and left to walk the ward corridor out unto the gangway. Along the way, he waved to all of the friends he made during his visit here. Heddy gave him a big hug. Ali gave him a cool and breezy handshake. Linda hugged him again, and then again at the other end of the ward. The translators beg for a photo opportunity. Clementine gave her last well wished words. Farouck asked me for all the nurses he could think of and even wrote a few of them a goodbye note. Everyone around him was so happy. Truly. Myself included.

Out on the gangway we went and out onto the dockside admissions tent area. We sat for the last time and conversed. Farouck entertained the whole crowd while taking photos with my camera. Then there was the voice of the town crier (Hospitality Center chauffer). The shuttle had pulled into its reverse location, near the yellow stairs, and called out a few unrecognizable names. The chauffer turned to me and grabbed my hand and apologized, and at first I didn't know why he was apologizing until he proclaimed to the people of the admissions tent... IT IS TIME!...FAROUCK! FAROUCK! The chauffer was preparing me for the departure too.

Farrouck turned to me and waved goodbye. Hugged me, and got a bit shy. So I immediately, started to joke with him and take photos of him to try to lighten up the mood.

Nacimento (Farouck’s mom) was the last to get into the car as Farouck rode in the front seat. She turned to me and looked me straight in the eyes and said THANK YOU EH! THANK YOU! She hugged me and kissed me and started to cry. Well the water works just came pouring down my cheeks.

My apologies for not writing about this brilliant kid sooner, but I was too busy hanging out with him. The photos will soon follow to explain in detail the unique brilliance this boy has.

They drove off down the dock and out into the port of Lome. I thought to myself, I may never see him graduate, or in his career(s) (he could never decide), or even attend his wedding. I was the Spanish photographer chic, who visited him everyday “A Las Nueve,” and made his time here with us a little bit more comfortable. Who after just one photo shoot with my camera, has a natural ability to take photographs, and will have a chance at a normal life or abnormal if he so chooses. I’m hoping for the later…who would ever want to be normal?

I just had a brief moment (3 weeks) with one of the coolest kids God ever made.

I walked up the gangway, in tears. Went into my office and had a good cry. Blew my nose, and began to chat with a good friend, Lewis. When all of a sudden the over head speaker paged with a medical crew emergency...moments later, one of my closest friends came by to tell me what had happened. Someone else went home today. Not to Benin, but to Jesus.

If the ship is a little higher today, it’s not because of the tide. My guess the ship is a bit higher from some of the tears heard around Le Bateau spilt into the ocean.

Goodnight from Lome to all my dear friends all over the world.
Goodnight Farouck. Hasta Manana a Las Nueve!!!
Goodnight little princess.
May you rest in His everlasting arms. No more pain. No more suffering. No more tears.

Comments

Popular Posts