Street Car with the girls

Monday:

Monday morning I woke up again in the beautiful world of New Orleans. My alarm clock woke me up and I immediately opened up the balcony window to see the gorgeous skyline and rooftops crowning the French Quarter sky line. I jumped back in bed for a few more minutes and purposely sat in quiet and just day dreamed. I day dreamed of what my life would look like if I were to live in New Orleans. To be part of the neo-bohemians and live the life of a care free artist. TM and I were talking one time and we said that it's isn't hard to take a good photograph in Africa. Africa is photogenic and I feel the same way about New Orleans. I use to say that about the French Quarter but I can officially say that about all of New Orleans now. I take that last sentence back. I can officially say that about all of the southern part of Louisiana. Unfortunately, my D80 broke and I couldn't photograph any of the events from this point forward. This truly breaks my heart more than you will ever know.

Michelle, Laura H, Elizabeth, Carlyn, Jean-Marie, and Ruby were all on their way to pick me up and show me the town. Laura phoned that they were on their way and that they would get here in about 30 minutes. Laura phoned just moments later that they were outside waiting for me. I came down the elevator and standing at the door were Laura and Miss Ruby Exposito. Laura is the Administrative Assistant to SGF. Ruby Exposito is the youngest daughter of Michelle & Eddie. She was so excited to see me and I equally was excited to see her. She reserved a seat right next to her car seat and the journey for the day began. Elizabeth sat in the back seat between her two sisters. I sat in the middle seat with Ruby. Michelle drove us and Laura was her side kick.

We drove down St. Charles Avenue with all the gorgeous southern mansions. You could look to the left or to the right and the row of houses were to die for. I wouldn't be able to pick the house to live in. I think the Garden District is one of the most beautiful areas of all of the US. I can only imagine the stories of each home too. I would love to have traveled through time and see what it might have all looked like. The wide doors created to just fit the large skirts. The long drive ports for all the horses and carriages. Michelle grew up in New Orleans and had gone to school right in the Garden District so she was an excellent guide. She showed me two of the best universities. She showed me a famous library. She pointed out a great home that now offers afternoon tea. I loved that area so so much. I caught a glimpse of a few streets and could tell that every house down the way was so beautiful too.

In between the visual tour the girls filled me in on the greatest and latest of their lives. Ruby expressed to me how much she didn't love McDonalds although everyone teases her about it. She also expressed that she was very excited about going on a street car. Carlyn expressed how she brought her purse filled with make-up in case we needed to refresh ourselves. Elizabeth is so graceful and smiled as her sisters did most of the talking. Jean-Marie was telling me of all the great adventures they've taken at the zoo.

The first time I went to New Orleans, my sister and I took the street car down St. Charles to the Camellia Grill. We kept going on the street car and just looked at all the beautiful homes around. And when we didn't' know how much further to go, we stopped at what looked to be a rather familiar stop. We saw this cute place called the Camellia Grill and walked in. It looked like we walked into a TV episode of the 1950's. The waiters are in black pants and white jackets. The tables are an all too familiar marble. The stools are strung across the counters like a string of jade pearls. There is a young and beautiful girl sitting by the cash register, chewing gum and talking on the phone. She doesn't look to happy to be there, but when I approached her she was just all too happy to help me. Marvin was our server. Such a great smile and he had a wonderful personality. He had been working there for almost 10 years he said. There was a special trick that Marvin does with the straws for the kids. The four Exposito girls so loved it. Michelle was a young girl all over again. Her cheeks were so pink and she remembered going to the diner with her grandmother and she felt revived. You could see her glowing all over the place. And it made me feel special that I got to have this experience with her and her girls. She brought me into a bit of her history. I sat next to Carlyn and Jean-Marie. I ordered the omelets and everyone else had the cheeseburger. As soon as our plate arrived we went into silent mode and just devoured the entire meal. Camellia grill is a fantastic classis spot. It apparently changed owners but they brought it back. They decided to use classic napkins and old fashion straws. And they brought back the design of the old menus too. It's a fantastic spot and everyone should stop by and have a burger with Marvin at the Camellia Grill off the St. Charles street car in New Orleans.

After lunch we soon jumped on the famous St. Charles Avenue Street Car. We took it into town and passed all the gorgeous homes on this famous avenue. We passed by all the famous libraries, universities, Audubon park, and the gorgeous gorgeous wrap around porches. In almost every porch there was a set of rocking chairs inviting company to enjoy themselves and wave to the people passing by. The breeze that came into the street car messed up all of our hair and cooled us off from a rather warm day. I sat in the front next to Jean-Marie and Carlyn. Elizabeth sat next to her mom and Laura sat close to them too. Ruby sat in different spot but finally wound up sitting next to me on the street car. I took a picture with each of the girls in a different spot of our adventure that day. Ruby and I took ours on the street car. We pointed out all the pretty houses we loved and pointed out. We took the street car all the way downtown and say the CBD. We came back to our car and ran towards Coldstone and had a yummy dessert. Each girl got to pick their particular favorite ice cream. The girls are so adorable. They are so individual and bright. Each one compliments the other and each one is going places in their future. We jumped into the van and headed down to towards the French market to do a bit of souvenir shopping. Along the way we went through Magazine and I discovered a whole new world of shops. My jaw just dropped. I was in awe. I made mental notes of all the places I wanted to check out.

The French market was rather general. There wasn't a lot of activity going on by any means but we managed to find a few cute things. We found some fun jewelry and I was able to get the girls each a little treat. Just a little something to make them feel special that day. I got them dangle like earrings which were a bit grown up for the girls but they got to wear them for that day. Ruby loved her pink earrings because they matched her pretty pink dress. Carlyn got a turtle ring because she's our scientist. Elizabeth got this really pretty red pendant and wore it with her cute black top. Jean-Marie got a cute pair of lavender earrings. The highlight after the French market, was heading to my hotel. Ruby caught a glimpse of it and that's all she could talk about. She forgot her bathing suit but she would have totally jumped in if she could. She had told all the girls about it, and they were excited to see it too.

So we drove passed Brad & Angelina's home. And then down Dauphine towards my hotel. The girls went straight upstairs, and they swung the door wide open. They saw the balcony and ran outside to check it all out. The girls plopped on the bed and we all just sat around and took a deep breath in. Each girl took their time getting ready and Eddie soon phoned that they were around town and ready to have dinner. So we jumped back into the van and drifted off to an outdoor spot. Laura had been there once before and said that it was pretty yummy. So we each ordered a tasty dish. The food wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. It was a fun time of good conversation and great company. The cool thing about that dinner is that I really got to know Michelle, and I realized that we will be friends for life. I love Michelle. I love the Exposito's.

After dinner I tried to kidnap Eddie to go have fun with us, but he had to take the whole crew back to the church. So Michelle took me, Elizabeth, Ruby to CC's on Magazine. We had such a good time chatting it up. We talked about everything under the sun and I also had a great chance to talk to Elizabeth. I had talked to all of her younger sisters but didn't get a chance to actually talk to her. We sat at dinner together, and then we sat at CC's and had great girl talk. That night, inside CC's, holding Ruby as she fell asleep, talking to Elisabeth, and laughing with Michelle was one of the best nights I've had in a really really long time.

Michelle drove me back into the quarter and I walked briskly to the Preservation Jazz Hall. The band was performing their hearts out and the familiar folks had been there. They knew me, and I knew them. It only took me going there for years, but I'm finally a regular. I'm a regular at Preservation Jazz hall. I want to cry. I requested the all too famous 'do you know what it means" and then for the last set I requested 'bye bye blackbird'. I danced. I clapped. I sang. I cried. I let it go. I took it in. Breathed it in. Let the trumpet blow the stink off of me. Preservation Jazz Hall is my fuel. To hear those particular musicians get together brings a bright light to our sometimes dark world.

I walked back to my hotel. I went to be with a smile.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Liz!!! Just thinking of you and wanted to say hello!!! We miss you here!!!!

Danny

Popular Posts