Arriving in New Orleans

The journey on the plane was different from the others that I took. I normally never sleep on a journey to my destination but I must have been so exhausted. I hadn't slept very much over the last couple of days and I think my body just needed those moments of sleep. I stayed awake the entire time at the gate. Spent time writing in my blog and drinking some tea. But as soon as I got on the plane, before the plane even took off, I crashed out. I had a window seat and slept almost the entire journey with my head against the window. I woke up for my favorite part; going through the clouds. I love that moment. I have such a great desire to sit on a cloud like I often saw the lil chubby angels do. They look so thick and fluffy that it's amazing to know that it can't support anything, that it's just vapor and air. I also woke up while we were flying over the Grand Canyon. I've never been to the Grand Canyon but have flown over it quite a few times. It's breathtaking. You can easily see from so far away how the earth's foundation has changed and how it's continually changing.

Right as I got to New Orleans I sensed a big difference about this journey. This trip to New Orleans was going to be very different than any of the others I've had. I realized it the moment I got off of the plane. There was a young couple talking about how the first thing they were going to do is get to a bar and start drinking. It broke my heart and I actually wanted to tell the people, that there was so much else to see other than the bars. I also didn't take a taxi into town for the first time. I walked out of the baggage claim area, walked past the taxi terminal, crossed the pathway and stayed where the locals go to get picked up from the airport. I stood there with so many people coming home to their loved ones. Many lovers kissing one another and just holding one another as they each parked. Friends picking up other friends, etc.

Michelle Exposito and Laura picked me up and immediately, I was so happy to see all the both of them. Friends that I just met this year instantly felt like old friends. Friends that I've known for a very long time and that they knew me through and through. We had a girls afternoon. We drove to PJ's and I had a great cup iced cold coffee drink. We then drove down to my hotel where I was able to check in and change for a great night out to dinner. We talked about so much and got to know so much about each other right off the bat. SGF took me out to dinner. We went to Venezio's off of Canal street. It's this great local Italian spot. We shared a whole bunch of yummy treats. I had stuffed shells and lasagna. We shared a bleu cheese wedge salad. I met Ashley, Charles wife, John, and Eddie met us there. What a great evening. Great conversation. There were moments when I felt totally shy and 12. There were times where I felt totally me and 31. There were times where I felt like I was opening my big opinionated mouth and should have let my hosts share their hearts with me. And at the end they gave me a gift in a pretty yellow bag with very pretty lavender tissue paper. Gifts and cards always make me cry. So I felt my whole head turn red and my ears get really hot. My throat got a lil plugged up too and I didn't really know what to say.

See in my heart, I was already grateful that they wanted to pick me up. I was already happy that they had showed me around, and had wanted to take me out to dinner. They wanted to spend time with me and stop in their busyness. That already meant a lot to me. I don't normally get phone calls at home of people saying, 'I've stopped all that I'm doing, going to come to get you, treat you, and just spend time with you!' That alone ministered to me already. Beyond any word or explanation.

They took me next door to this great little dessert shop. I had a swan shaped cream puff. I love creamy desserts. And it was sooooooo good. That swan was a fat swan too. So delicious, and fattening. Of course I was the big fat tourist. Took photographs of every little spot in the entire place. But it was just all to cute. We don't have dessert shops like that back home.

When I got back to my hotel I had discovered that my ac broke. Called downstairs and the maintenance person came up and offered me a new room. So I went downstairs and got the key. Came up to room 303 at the Dauphine Orleans. It has a double balcony. I immediately turned off all of the lights, and opened up one of the balcony doors. Sat there and just enjoyed the moonlight over the French Quarter. The city was bright and the architecture was haloed by the reflecting glow of the moon. A titian blue hue fell over the quarter last night. I stayed out on my balcony until 4am just soaking it all in. Breathing it in. Permitting the thick New Orleans air to filter the silt of silicon unfriendly valley.

I woke up late today. Got dressed and opened up my windows. When I soon realized it had been drizzling all morning long. Today I am officially 31 years old and it rained in New Orleans on my birthday. This is not a coincidence but a perfect gift from God and his incredible way with nature. I walked out of my hotel. Made a left onto Dauphine and walked onto the wet streets of the quarter. Instantly the celestial rain was baptizing me into a new life. A new part of me was rising from the inside. A day completely my own. Fully guided by the mysterious wonders of the Holy Spirit. I found myself aimlessly walking and yet knowing exactly where I was the entire time. I could feel that heat and dizziness taking over my system to photograph and document everything. My camera came out in the rain. The rain not only drenched the city but it drenched me. Every bit of me. It was so cool and peaceful. The rain brought a calm over the city as it began to awake.

The rain never stopped. I never stopped walking. There were so many little homes for sale or rent. I kept imagining what my life would look like if I moved to New Orleans. There is room for me here. There is room to grow here. There is room for life here.

So many thoughts are growing in my mind. My insides are stretching. The Liz of yesterday is different from today already.

Tonight I head out to dinner and to pres hall…….

Right now I am at peace. On a temperpedic with my balcony doors wide open. Hearing the noises of my city!

Friday night. I am 31 today. I turned 31 in New Orleans.


 


 


 

I

Comments

Popular Posts