What am I doing here again?

So I woke up early today. Irritated because I was cold. I began to grumble to myself about this and that. That no one else on this planet is as cold as I am right now. Complaining that they removed the fireplace out of my bedroom. Upset that I have to run the cold water before the hot water turns hot. And didn't care if gallons of water were wasted away. I got out of the shower and began to complain that I couldn't find anything. Not gracious by any means that my mom kindly cleaned my room. Upset that my hair stylist hadn't returned my phone call and my split ends were showing. And complaining that I can no longer do my eye make up without wearing my glasses. The day just started off wrong. So wrong and it seemed like nothing could make it right. So I gave up. By 7am this morning I had given up. So I plopped myself on the bed and turned on the tv. Which was a misktake too. I hate morning tv. There is usually nothing on.

But I was wrong. The german news was on tv. I love german news. They always take about art in germany. Our news never talks about art. Ever. And they give about 30 min to art/achitecture/design/photography, etc. I love love love watching it. So I was so into it. I understand a little of what they say. Most of it sounds like english and a few words sounds like spanish. (yes shannon, I know, german is not a romance language). But I can understand it. Enough not to get lost. And then the news went on to a commercial.

"happy birthday to you,"

The pediatric ward at an African hospital comes to light and in focus.

"happy birthday to you,"

A nurse comes from one room into the hallway carrying a new born.

"happy birthday dear baby,"

The nurse places the infant in it's crib.
And the camera moves spots
It goes from over the baby and pans down to it's feet.
The infant giggles.
The infant moves it's legs.
The infant moves it's toes.
Suddenly the camera pans to the right
There are several other infants

They are giggling
They are moving their legs
They are moving their toes

And suddenly....
In the last crib.
It is an infant
It is not giggling
It is not moving their legs
It is not moving their toes.
It is not moving.

"happy birthday to you"

And then the camera zooms into the the little tag tied on to the little infants toe.
The infant died.

The commercial then says and reads in german
This child didn't have to die.
It only takes 38 euros.
Prevent HIV - AIDS

I sat there and sobbed.

So I woke up early today. But oh so ON THE WRONG FOOT. Thank God for His grace. And for reminding me once again. That it's not about me. It's about us & it's about Him.

So I woke up early today. Walking out the door, I asked the question that countless times I've asked before.

WHAT AM I STILL DOING HERE AGAIN?

"Bring me all of your dreams,
You dreamers...
Bring me all of your Heart melodies
That I may wrap them In a blue cloud-cloth
Away from the too-rough fingers
Of the world."
~~~ Langston Hughes

Comments

Shannon Marie said…
I can't stop listening to Christmas music...so melodic, so... Germanic.

I don't know much about German, though once I bought a book with simple phrases in it because I wanted to understand what my friend Bonnie's parents were saying (they both spoke fluent German). Also, I need to research some German to put in my book. The one I'm writing. Starting... now !!

Popular Posts