I'm going back

So it's official. I'm heading back to Africa. The more I plan for it...the more it becomes clear of how much I miss it. Everywhere there are signs of Africa. Its almost like when you don't see a loved one for a while and certain songs, foods, colors, scents remind you of them. This is how it has been for me towards Africa....

Today in World Pulse I read this passage and decide to put part of it for you to read....

by Zainab Salbi - head of Women for Women International


I looked at Naito and said, "Nabito, you have been an example of courage for me. You may think that I helped you, but the fact is that you helped me. You are my teacher. Through your story and your willingess to tell it to me, I learned about the meaning of courage. But tell me, should I tell your story and the storeis of what women have been through in the DRC so the world knows what is happening, or should I stay silent?"

Naibto looked at me with a big smile and answered:"They asked my son to rape me and when he refused, they shot him, If I can, I will tell the whole world about it day and night so they know how women are suffering here - so they know what is happening to us - so maybe they can stop it. I just won't tell my own neighbors, so I can live in peace.

She looked at me and said: "I can't do this (tell it to the wole world) but you can. You go and tell the world. I am okay now, Zainab. You are in my life and I am okay now." I rest my head on Nabito's thights and criy in silence, hugging her like a little child.

www.womenforwomen.org

Comments

Popular Posts